Learn about diets, supplementation, and treatment options using the biomedical ideology.
Please note: The Autism Society of Greater Phoenix (ASofGP) website provides general information regarding medical research, treatment options, therapies and nutrition to the autism community. The information comes from a variety of sources and ASofGP does not independently verify any of it. Nothing in this website should be construed as medical advice. Always consult your child’s doctor regarding this or her individual needs.
Biomedical Treatment Checklist for Autism
A condensed version of the DAN! guidelines by James Adams
Follow in this order:
1. Improve quality of diet. Eliminate junk food. Increase intake of vegetables, whole fruit, and protein, while limiting sugar/starch intake.
2. Minimum 3-month trial of total avoidance of casein and gluten.
3. Add digestive enzymes, vitamins, minerals.
4. Test thyroid function and iodine level – consider thyroid hormones and/or iodine.
5. Test for food allergy, using blood.
6. Test gut function: Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis and urinary organic acids, using both tests to check for intestinal yeast/bacteria. If necessary, treat with antifungals, probiotics, and possibly antibiotics. Try low sugar/starch diet, and consider Specific Carbohydrate Diet to starve yeast/bacteria.
7. Test for amino acids, and add if necessary.
8. Test plasma sulfate and glutathione; supplement if low.
9. Assess heavy metal toxicity by chelation challenge, and treat if high.
10. Try additional nutrients (Essential fatty acids, DMG/TMG, methyl-B12)
11. Try mega-B6 with Magnesium (8 mg of B6 per pound bodyweight, and 4 mg/pound bodyweight of Magnesium), especially if kryptopyrole test high.
12. Test for viral infections, and treat if necessary.
NOTE: Behavioral therapy is also strongly recommended, and should be done simultaneously. Applied Behavior Analysis, Relationship Development Intervention, and other methods are available.
Summary of Treatments for Autism – 2013
By James B. Adams, Ph.D.
By James Adams, Ph.D
Stephen Edelson, Pd.D
Temple Grandin, Ph.D
Bernie Rimland, Ph.D
More Information is Available…
Autism Research Institute
Founded by Bernard Rimland, a parent of an adult with autism and a leading advocate of research on autism. Publishes a newsletter summarizing current research on autism, and also provides a wide range of information. Contact: www.autism.com 4182 Adams Avenue, San Diego, CA 92116 Fax: (619) 563-6840
Arizona State University Autism Research Program
Directs several autism-related research studies, and maintains a web site with information for parents.
Call to be added to the waiting list for future research studies: (480) 965-3316.
Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders, Karyn Seroussi, 2000
Biological Treatments for Autism & PDD, William Shaw, MD, 2003, 2nd Edition
Is This Your Child? Discovering and Treating Unrecognized Allergies in Children and Adults, Doris J. Rapp,
Children with Starving Brains: A Medical Treatment Guide for Autism Spectrum Disorders by Jacquelyn McCandless, MD
Autism: Have We Done Everything We Can for this Child? Effective Biomedical Treatments, by Sidney Baker, MD and Jon Pangborn, MD
Changing the Course of Autism, A Scientific Approach for Parents & Physicians by Bryan Jepson, MD
The Autism & ADHD Diet y Barrie Silberberg
Nourishing Hope for Autism: Nutrition Intervention for Healing Our Children by Julie Matthews
Mother Warriors by Jenny McCarthy
Recovering Autistic Children by Stephen Edelson, Ph.D & Bernard Rimlnd, Ph.D
Impossible Cure: The Promise of Homeopathy by Amy Lansky
Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills by Russell L. Blaylock
Autism Unraveled – http://autism-unravelled.org/default.aspx
Thoughtful House – http://www.thoughtfulhouse.org
Safe Minds – http://www.safeminds.org/
Talk About Curing Autism (TACA) – http://www.tacanow.com
Unlocking Autism – http://www.unlockingautism.org
Generation Rescue- http://www.generationrescue.org/index.php
Healthy Child – http://healthychild.org/
Angel’s Purse-Donates supplements to needy families-http://www.autismangelspurse.com/About%20Angel%27s%20Purse.htm